Robert C. Flanigan, MD, FACS, Immediate Past President of the American Urological Association, presented “Urologic Research: Why It Is So Important to Us” for the Grand Rounds in Urology audience in September, 2019.
How to cite: Flanigan, Robert C. “Urologic Research: Why It Is So Important to Us” September, 2019. Accessed Oct 2019. https://grandroundsinurology.com/urologic-research-why-it-is-so-important-to-us/
Urologic Research: Why It Is So Important to Us – Summary:
Robert C. Flanigan, MD, FACS, presents his presidential address from the American Urological Association’s (AUAs) 2019 Annual Meeting to the Grand Rounds in Urology audience, covering the history of the AUA and its mission and their fundamental principles for improving the field of urology. He then provides the 10-step plan for research success based on details from his professional journey that exemplify the pathway to success.
As well as overviewing the past and present of the AUA, this presentation focuses on the theme of research. Using examples from his professional experience, Dr. Flanigan provides the following steps for success in urologic research:
1) Find people and places that can enable opportunities for your
2) Identify professional role models to emulate
3) Always look for research questions through clinical observations
4) Embrace clinical research opportunities
5) Find and sustain basic research collaborations with other investigators
6) Learn how to write successful grants
7) Be persistent and focused in obtaining grants, finding mechanisms to amass data, and strengthening the project team
8) Build and sustain multidisciplinary research teams that span diseases and conditions
9) Educate and mentor others about research, and establish an educational plan
10) Surround yourselves with excellence.